Part 2: Prologue

On 5 July I fly to Lexington KY to resume my TransAm journey.  It has been just over a year since I completed Part 1.  My goal for Part 2 is to reach Pueblo CO, which is just over 1400 miles.  My companion from Part 1, Rob H,, made it to Pueblo in 18 days, averaging 80 miles per day.  I don’t know if I can average that many miles per day; it will depend on wind and weather.  If I average 65 miles per day I will likely end Part 2 in Wichita KS, which is about 1000 miles.  I am apprehensive about riding for hours on a flat, straight Kansas road into a headwind.  My cycling strength is in climbing hills; I am not as strong on the flats.  

Based on my experience crossing the Appalachian mountains in Part 1 I made some modifications to my touring bike, which I have named Rhaegal after one of Daenery’s  dragons in Game of Thrones, to obtain a lower climbing gear.  There is no worse feeling when climbing a steep grade than to downshift and realize you are already in your lowest gear.  My lowest gear was a 22-28, which is a ratio of 0.786 or 21.7 gear inches (gear ratio times wheel diameter). I good low gear for loaded touring is 20 gear inches, so I changed out my cassette to obtain a low gear of 22-34 (0.647, or 17.8 gear inches).  This necessitated changing my rear derailleur to accommodate that large a cog (22 + 34 = 56 total teeth).  While I was at it I also changed my chain.  The other modification I made was to my brakes.  Last year I learned that I did not have enough braking capacity for steep downhills.  My bike has cantilevered cable pull brakes and I had to apply too much pressure to the brake levers when descending.  I changed the brake pads, cables, and added in-line adjusters to allow me to make fine brake adjustments.  The final modification was to change out the front rack for a Tubus Tiara so that I could use my Ortlieb front panniers.  

Over the last few weeks I rode every day to get ready for this trip.  I wanted to get my hands and butt used to long hours on the bike and to condition my legs.  I am taking 9 days off from riding while I visit my daughter in Zurich Switzerland, which may provide a good recovery before I start Part 2...we’ll see.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 2, Day 6, Carbondale to Chester IL

Part 2, Day 13, Eureka to Valley Center KS

Part 2: Day 1, Berea to Springfield KY