Part 1: Day 8, 2 June 2018 –Wytheville VA to Damascus VA, 58 mi, 3088 ft ascent, 6.9% max grade, 10.9 mph avg.


We went to a local diner for breakfast and then re-joined the route.  We had barely left the restaurant when we came upon a ridiculously steep (but short) hill.  I actually got off and walked the short distance to the top…it was way too early in the morning to be pushing that hard on the pedals!  On the way into Damascus there was a gravel trail called the Virginia Creeper that appeared to be very popular.  I had lost track of Rob and the weather was nice (as far as I could tell being in a valley surrounded by trees) so I decided to ride the trail….bad idea!  A couple miles down the trail it started to rain….hard!  I could barely see anything and my bike was getting covered with dirt.  My brakes scraped like crazy and barely worked.  After it stopped raining I looked for and found a way to cut through the woods and return to the road.  I had enough of the Virginia Creeper.  In Damascus we stayed at the Woodchuck hostel, which is basically a hang-ou  We met up with by brother’s friend Payton for dinner at the Damascus Old Mill Inn, and when we returned, there was Steve H!  He had caught up with us in only 4 days….he is a beast!  It was a great reunion.
t for AT hikers…we were the only bicyclists out of about 15 guests.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 2, Day 6, Carbondale to Chester IL

Part 2, Day 13, Eureka to Valley Center KS

Part 2: Day 1, Berea to Springfield KY